Los Angeles Probate Attorneys
Probate is a legal process whereby a court oversees the distribution of assets left by a deceased person. Assets are anything a person owns with value, such as real and personal property and cash, for instance.
Grieving the loss of a loved one is difficult enough without having to also deal with the legalities of their estate. Most people’s estates need to go through probate, which is the legal process of settling the estate. If someone dies with a will and has named a personal representative, often called an executor, this person will be responsible for administering the estate. If someone dies without a will or did not appoint a personal representative in the will, the probate court will appoint one.
It is essential to work with an experienced legal team to protect your interests and help you through the estate administration process. The Los Angeles probate lawyers at Boyd Law understand that the role of an estate administrator can be complex and demanding. Our probate Los Angeles attorneys are committed to providing thorough, personalized representation through every step of the process. At Boyd Law, we provide sound counsel and guidance throughout the entire administrative process from the appointment of the executor through the final closing of the estate. This includes:
- Preparing the estate – before an estate’s assets can be distributed, it is essential to clear up the estate. Our attorneys will help estate administrators clear titles, satisfy creditors, pay expenses, collect debts and organize the assets of the estate.
- Determining heirship – with a valid will, the heirs should be determined with clarity. However, some estate plans are not as clear as an estate administrator would hope, and other estates do not have valid wills. The attorneys at Boyd Law have the legal knowledge and experience to determine the appropriate heirs.
- Distribution of property – distributing the appropriate assets in the correct manner to the estate’s heirs.
- Probate hearings – representing and helping you throughout the various hearings that can be required throughout the process.
- Estate tax elections and filings – it is essential to pay any taxes within nine months of the date of death. Our attorneys can help you choose the appropriate elections and file the appropriate tax forms to complete the estate administration process.
The trust & estates lawyers in Los Angeles at Boyd Law represents clients in all manner of probate cases. We provide families and individuals with the legal representation and counsel they need to protect their interests during probate litigation proceedings. In addition, we offer the legal services an individual will need to protect themselves, their assets and provide for their loved ones in the future.
California Will Contests
One of the most important issues to arise during estate administration is a will contest. Will challenges occur when someone is challenging the validity of the will because they believe the decedent was not of the right mind when creating it, the decedent was under undue influence, or there is an updated will that exists. If you are involved or have a challenge to a will, we understand the legal complications and tension that can arise between family members. As a Los Angeles county probate law firm, we want to utilize our experience and knowledge to protect your rights involved in the matter. Let us represent you during a will contest, whether through trial or settlement, and give us a chance to make a positive impact on your case.
We are well-versed in all forms of probate in the state of California, including formal administration, summary administration and ancillary administration. We use cutting edge technologies to provide efficient and affordable probate representation for our clients. We are prepared to guide you through the probate process with the personal attention and dedication you expect and deserve. Contact our office today at 310-777-0231 for a free consultation.